Bookish Blerd

Author: S. E. Hinton

Narrator: Jim Fyfe

Time: 05:27:26

Reread.

Oh my gosh this books gives all the feels!  I haven't read this book since elementary school and I had forgotten how much I loved it.

The story is haunting in a way.  The social division between the Greasers and the Socs is something so true and real and very prevalent in today's society.  The struggle of being a teen just trying to navigate the world around them was depicted so well.  Being a kid/teen sucks no matter your social/financial situation.  All walks of life come with their own set of problems and it's hard enough dealing with them and having to fight one another over, well nothing really.  Jealousy, hate, boredom?

The characters draw you in and make you develop attachments to them.  I didn't remembered how very much I adored Sodapop until rereading this.  And Dally... I always liked Dally, but reading this as an adult, I can appreciate him more.  I can better understand why he was the way he was.  Why he was so tough and cold, and why he was well and truly lost after Johnny's death.  Ponyboy hit it on the head: Johnny was the only thing Dally loved.

I love everything about this book, the writing, the story, the characters.  The family dynamic between the Curtis brothers--the whole gang, because they're all one big family that looks out for one another as best they can.  It's both beautiful and sad.  I'm only sorry I took so long to reread this.

The Silmarillion
J.R.R. Tolkien, Martin Shaw
Progress: 560/889minutes
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640pages