Bookish Blerd

Coraline - Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell

Author: Neil Gaiman

Adaptation & Illustration: P. Craig Russell

Pages: 186

Wonderful.  Whimsical with a slight hint of creepy.

Coraline is a bright, adventurous child who doesn't get enough attention from her parents, but she's perfectly capable of occupying her time exploring.  There is a cast of wacky characters, a key to a door that leads nowhere, and then somewhere.  It becomes a doorway to another version of her world where the characters are twisted copies of the ones from her world.  And the Other Mother, is clearly a creepy monster disguised as her mother to lure her into a false sense of security so she can eat her...probably.  Most definitely.  And EWWWW spiders!

The artwork was wonderful and while I haven't read the original novel and cannot compare the adaptation to it, I think it's fantastically done.  I've seen the movie so I had something to go on.  And as with anything that features a sassy cat--or any cat--he was my favorite character!  I very much enjoyed reading this.

Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640pages