Bookish Blerd

Review: The Haunting of Hill House

The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson, Bernadette Dunne

This was creepy and scary without gore or jump scares.  It was almost more psychological because there was never a solid presence or any one thing to fear like in a slasher film/book.  It's like going into a dark basement alone at night.  Logically you know there is nothing there that can harm you, but you still get the wiggins.  It's the not knowing that freaks you out because your imagination can conjure much worse things than what's actually hiding in the shadows.

Clearly there was a presence haunting the house and it tormented Doctor Montague and his group of young assistants--to a bad end for poor Eleanor.  The house seemed to be an entity itself and it sucked Eleanor in--bewitched her.

Very well written, interesting characters.  I have to assume that the author meant for readers to hate Mrs. Montague, because she was just a nightmare.  I wanted bad things to happen to her in the house.  With the other characters [Doctor Montague, Theodora, Luke, Eleanor] you could see both their endearing, and annoying qualities.  And overall enjoyable listen.

Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640pages