Bookish Blerd

Review: Hounded

Hounded - Kevin Hearne

This was a fun read. I've read a few of the novellas that accompany the series and I knew I would be in for a treat.

Atticus is a 2100-year-old druid trying to live his best life as a bookstore owner in Arizona.  He lives with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon, with whom is is bound.  He has taught Oberon human speech and given him the ability to communicate with him using his mind.  Oberon is a hoot; he's truly the star of the series.

Basically, Atticus has been hiding out in Tempe, Arizona, living a fairly quiet life until one of the old Irish gods decides he's pussyfooted around long enough and finally seeks revenge on Atticus for stealing a magical sword.  Aenghus Óg involves witches, demons, giants, other gods and even death himself to get the sword from Atticus.  But Atticus has his own back-up of vampires (who have ghouls on speed dial), an entire werewolf pack, a powerful sorceress, Irish gods, and of course the ever loyal Oberon.  There are many, many attempts on his life, some of which are seriously close calls.  There is a fighting, gore, sarcasm, and comedy.  It's everything I needed in a book.

The Outsiders (Audio)
S.E. Hinton, Jim Fyfe
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640pages