Bookish Blerd

Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

I really enjoyed this book.  Christopher was just too pure for the world, and I wanted to hug him, but he would have hated that.  Christoper is an autistic boy who finds the neighbor's dog murdered.  Initially he is blamed for it because he's found at the scene of the crime cradling the dog.  Christopher is then determined to act as a detective like Sherlock Holmes and discover who killed poor Wellington the dog.

This book is told in the first person, which usually makes me cringe and stop reading; however, it was so beautifully written that I feel as though I got a chance to see the thinking process of an autistic person first hand.  It was very fascinating to see how his thought process worked; how he saw and interacted the world and the people around him.

In the middle searching for the killer, Christopher uncovers an entirely different mystery regarding his family.  His dad has been lying to him and throws his world into a tailspin.

This book is funny and engaging and gives a small bit of insight into the life of a person with autism, and being the parent of a child with autism.

A Ruin Of Shadows
Lewis Carroll
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640 pages
A Christmas Cornucopia: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Yuletide Traditions
Mark Forsyth
Twice Bitten
Crystal Green, Erica Orloff
Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin, #1)
Patrick O'Brian