Bookish Blerd

Review: What The Hell Did I Just Read

What the Hell Did I Just Read - David Wong

I feel like I say this every time I review a book from this series, but this was an exercise in insanity!

Let me start by saying, there's only so much I can say without spoiling.  I'm about to say something that may be of an unpopular opinion; I don't know because I haven't talked to anyone who has read the series, but here it is:  I don't like Amy.  I don't know what it is about the character, but she just irks the hell out of me, and I cannot remember if I felt this way after reading the first two novels.  Even though I get the reason for her character, at the same time, I don't see the point of her.

That being said, John and Dave had yet another not-so-excellent adventure in [Undisclosed].  Just when I think the author couldn't possibly come up with a more, profane, creepy, hilariously convoluted story than the last, he goes and does it with style.  The kind of person you have to be to come up with this stuff... all the blessings to the author's wife!

Seriously, this was creepy, funny, and ridiculous.  If you've read the series, you understand why it's so hard to describe.  If you haven't read the series, you're missing out.  Go read it.  Right now!

I went back and forth between the paperback and the audiobook.  Whatever audio issues people were having when it was first released must have been fixed, because I thought it was great quality and a pretty good performance.  I think I may have liked the narrator of the second book a little better--taking away nothing from this narrator.  Overall it was a very good story and performance.

A Ruin Of Shadows
Lewis Carroll
Werewolves and Shape Shifters: Encounters with the Beasts Within
George R.R. Martin, H.P. Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, Tessa Gratton, Bentley Little, Zak Jarvis, Violet Glaze, Peter Giglio, Mercedes M. Yardley, Dieter Meyer, Scott Bradley, Brad C. Hodson, Nicole Cushing, Alice Henderson, Alethea Kontis, Steve Duffy, Maxwell Hart, Richard Ch
Progress: 31/640pages