Bookish Blerd

Mystic

Mystic - Garrett Robinson So...this story took a twist. And I say that meaning the author did an excellent job of changing the way we see the main protagonist. Loren is a complete butthole in this book, at least she is in my opinion. The story was great, the plot continues to move forward and keep you anxious for more. We're still unsure of the loyalties of Xain and Jordel. But we see Loren for the first time as what she truly is, a young, foolish, naive girl with flights of fancy. She has an unrealistic morality, and for someone who claims to want to be the greatest thief, she's ridiculously judgemental. She's too quick to accuse and make a judgement on someone's character, but she's also too quick to trust and is easily taken in--though she claims to be an excellent judge of a person's character. So yeah, she's a young, dumb teenager. The only thing I agreed with her on was her dislike for Vivien. I did not like or trust that witch.

I'm anxious to find out what this big bad that Jordel fears really is. Is he friend, or friend of convenience, or an enemy disguised as a friend? I think he's a good guy and I think Xain probably is too, but he's in full-on jerk mode at the moment. I feel there is so much more we will learn about Xain and his story in the coming books. I also hope to see some growth for Loren. Gem and Annis are the only characters I can currently get behind. I admire Gem's loyalty to Loren, but sometimes I wish he would just drop her. She's driving me insane. I want to just jump into the book and strangle her. Excellent writing on the writer's part. This had to be planned, otherwise I will be so thoroughly disappointed in the coming stories. I'm expecting some serious character development!

A Christmas Cornucopia: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Yuletide Traditions
Mark Forsyth
Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Maggie Stiefvater
Progress: 101/400 pages
Twice Bitten
Crystal Green, Erica Orloff
Master and Commander (Aubrey/Maturin, #1)
Patrick O'Brian